What is yoga?
Yoga is a longstanding practice which originated thousands of years ago, but it is relevant these days as much. In fact, it is now popular worldwide due to its innumerable benefits. It brings our body, thoughts and breath in alignment. Some asanas consist of meditation and chanting.
The word 'Yoga' comes from the Sanskrit word 'Yuj', which means 'to join' or 'to unite'. It Brings synchronization in body and mind. The poses and procedures of yoga emphasize on diverting the flow of energy from the outside to the inside of one’s self.
The original reference of yoga is in Rig Veda consisting of a collection of formalities, chants, and refrains. Krishnamacharya is known as "the father of modern yoga,”.
In this article we will discuss the importance of practicing yoga by teenagers.
Why teens don’t practice yoga?
Some teenagers hesitate to practice this habit due to the following reasons:
1) They feel healthy enough to indulge in any work outs.
2) If over-weight, they look for quick ways to lose it.
3) If normal weighted, they feel fit and active
4) They consider yoga for older people
5) Not attracted in such ancient and slow forms of exercise.
6) Peer pressure and made fun of, if do yoga
It is vital to recognize that the benefits of yoga go beyond physical health. It helps in emotional and spiritual balance too. It aids in behavior management as well. Nowadays schools and offices have yoga classes to increase productivity and satisfaction. Teens, particularly, have rush of hormones, and reactions which needs to be stabilized at the right time. Yoga channelizes their energy in appropriate way.
Benefits of yoga:
It is a slow technique of breathing with various asanas, which help in all age groups. It is
advised for children of 7 years or 8 years also to practice simple yoga asanas. Teenagers do not like slow process, they like fast tracked aerobics, Zumba, Pilates workout.
It is a good thing to indulge in any physical activity- sports, athletics, gym etc. But to attain mental peace and to take a break from the fast-paced life, yoga is advantageous.
· Makes body flexible
· Builds stamina
· Improves immune system
· Aids in Weight loss and muscle toning
· Benefits the skin
· Provides mental peace
· Helps in detoxification of negative thoughts
· Improves insomnia
· Improves concentration
· Promotes awareness of healthy lifestyle.
· Reduces anxiety and stress
· Teaches self-regulation
· Teaches mindful discipline
· Reduces impatience, aggression
· Lifts mood
Social / spiritual returns
· Improves self esteem
· Helps to make connection with inner self
· Shapes personality in future
· Boosts confidence
Safety measures while doing yoga:
1) Always start training under guidance of an instructor.
2) Nowadays online yoga classes and apps are available.
3) A good yoga mat is needed
4) Comfortable clothes and no shoes
5) Discuss any medical conditions, injuries or pains with your trainer
6) Begin slow and increase duration and intensity gradually
7) Don’t take meals before or immediately after yoga
8) Keep yourself hydrated during the process, as required.
9) Begin with simple poses and listen to your body while doing so. Don’t push yourself.
10) Have a soothing and peaceful environment
11) Do not practice if unwell, tired or injured.
12) Don’t mix yoga with any other form of exercise.
13) Anything over done can do harm
14) During monthlies, practice only breathing and mediation and refrain from asanas.
To conclude, sooner you initiate to pay attention to your mental and physical wellbeing, the more returns you achieve. It is not intended for people of a specific age. You are the architects of your life, make it a beautiful place to live in.